LAKE CITY—Beginning Jan. 28, trained volunteers will be at the Lake City Public Library to help with tax preparations, including special credits, Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly. In addition to free tax return preparation assistance, volunteers will also offers free electronic filing. Items you need to bring to the VITA Site to have your tax returns prepared:
• Proof of identification
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Current year’s tax package if you received one
Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business employer identification number)
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 426-6762.