Program offers aid to elderly

-A A +A


The Elderly Home Repair Assistance Program is offering aid to older homeowners in Campbell County.
The purpose of the program is to repair homes for elderly homeowners so they can continue living in them.
In their service area, ADFAC helps about 17 people every year with the Elderly Home Assistance program. The program has been operating for about three years.
This year, $30,000 was received for the Elderly Home Repair Assistance Program, said Cindy Ross, from Aid to Distressed Families of Appalachian Counties.
“We receive that money yearly,” said Connie Ball, from ADFAC.
The amount changes every year. While money has been available for the Elderly Home Repair Assistance Program the past three years, it’s not guaranteed to come every year, Ross said.
“We just never know,” she said.
This year, money is still available to help elderly homeowners living in Campbell County who are seeking repairs for their homes.
“It has to be a repair that may cause them to leave their home,” Ball said.
Home repair is limited to fixing one or two problems in the house, such as bathroom repairs, roofs or heating and cooling.
Projects typically range from $4,000 to $5,000 and involve one or two things to ensure the applicants can stay in their homes, Ross said.
Work is completed by a licensed contractor at no cost to the homeowner, Ross said in a press release.
Eligible applicants must be 60 or over, meet income guidelines, occupy the home as a primary residence and need a repair that will allow them to remain safely in the residence. The income guidelines for one person is less than $19,080, and for a family of two, it is at or below $21,840.
Homeowners interested in receiving help can apply. Applicants must provide information they own their home, are current on property taxes and provide proof of income for everybody in the household, Ross said in a press release. ADFAC will provide a free, in-home inspection to help determine the repairs needed to restore the home.
Those with questions can call Ball at (865)-481-3837 ext 101.