Stabbing leaves one man dead

-A A +A
By Susan Sharp

 A night of drinking and arguing has left one man dead and his friend facing homicide charges.

On Friday evening, a call was placed to Campbell County 911 by Johnathan B. Sexton claiming he had come home to find his friend, Rocky Gibson, lying on the kitchen floor bleeding from the chest.

“He’s bleeding out,” Sexton can be heard saying on the 911 tape. “There is something wrong.” As the dispatcher speaks with Sexton she questions him if he knows what happened. Sexton repeatedly asks Gibson if he knows who “did this to him” and tells him “it is going to be okay.”

When emergency personnel arrived they found Gibson in the kitchen floor of the 1078 South Highway 25 home. He was bleeding from his chest, according to Campbell County Sheriff’s Department Capt. Brandon Elkins. A long bladed kitchen knife was found in the sink covered in blood, Elkins said.

At that time Sexton maintained to police a third party had inflicted the life- threatening injury on his friend, Elkins said.

Gibson was airlifted to U.T. Medical Center where he died during surgery, said Elkins.

An autopsy later revealed Gibson died from a single knife wound to the heart, the arrest warrant said.

While Sexton was taken to the jail Friday evening, it was allegedly several hours before he was sober enough to be interviewed, said CCSD Det. Freddie White.

As police spoke with him about the events of the evening, Sexton initially maintained his innocence. However, police had “found evidence he (Sexton) was involved in the incident,” Elkins said.

Sexton allegedly told police he had been living at Gibson’s home for several weeks but the two had known each other for longer. On Friday evening, the two men had been drinking “heavily,” according to police. That is when an argument erupted. However, the origin of the dispute remains unclear, said Elkins.

Sexton later confessed to his involvement in Gibson’s death, White said.

He was charged with voluntary manslaughter. On Monday he was arraigned and given a $200,000 bond.

Sexton remains in the county jail.